Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
RGC 1404 25 v 22 Llanelli
02 September 2017 - Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay

Match Report

Late penalty sinks 4 try Llanelli

Llanelli made the 5-hour journey North on a beautiful September day to Parc Eirias in Colwyn Bay (which is now named Stadiwm Zip World), without Head Coach Phil Davies, who was away on the World Rugby Coaching Conference. He left the reins in the capable hands of Dai Flanagan, Paul Fisher & Conditioner Neil Burns.

RGC with a slight wind on their backs came out of the blocks with buckets of endeavour and was no surprise they got on the score board with a try from Tom Hughes and conversion from Jacob Botica on 12 minutes.

With no possession in the opening 15 minutes, Llanelli showed the vociferous RGC crowd what they are capable of, as the talented Tumble winger 18 year old Thomas Rogers crashed over near the posts after some enterprising play. Ioan Hughes, who is making great strides in his game, unfortunately missed the conversion.

Nevertheless, when in possession Llanelli looked so dangerous and a little more composure and no ‘miracle passes’ the scoreboard would have been looking different at the final whistle.

Ryan Conbeer got to the try line once again with yet another brilliant finish and Ioan just shaving the upright with the touch line conversion.

RGC’s pack responded with a driving lineout try on the half hour with Botica converting to go in with a 14-10 lead.

RGC started the second half as they did the first on the front foot as Bridgend Athletic boy Evan Yardley mauled his way for the opening try of the second half.

Matthew Flanagan was then in support of speedster Ryan Conbeer (who showed he’s not only pace ) and a lovely inside pass which saw Flanagan sprint the last 30 metres for a well taken try.Tom Phillips was then yellow carded and from the resulting penalty Botica stretched their lead to 22-15.

Llanelli had been defending with great vigour all the game and even managed to step that up a gear in Phillips absence.

They were now in top attacking gear and were relentlessly stretching the opposition which eventually cracked when impressive prop Rhys Fawcett crashed over near the posts which was converted by debutant outside half Lewis Williams.

With minutes left on the clock Llanelli had possession in their opponents half, but a ‘gamble’ of a pass was gobbled up by RGC who made their way into Llanelli’s 22.

RGC then infringed which give their opponents a scrum and an opportunity to get back down field. However, instead of the big boot up field Llanelli kept ball in hand which resulted in RGC regaining possession. Then from the resulting ruck Llanelli kicked the ball out of the ruck which would have been fine in previous Law Books and Botica kicked the resulting penalty with 2 minutes to play.

Captain for the day Bryce Morgan rallied his troops once more and despite attacking the RGC 22 for the rest of the game eventually lost possession and Botica booted the ball in goal for victory.

RGC 25 – 22 Llanelli RFC


Next Saturday Llanelli RFC are home to unbeaten Llandovery who comfortably beat RGC the week previously.


Saturday 9th September Principality Premiership at Parc Y Scarlets


Llanelli RFC v Llandovery RFC kick off 2.30pm


Ian Davies